He Could Have Called 10,000 Angels- Featuring 'The Lamentation' an Art Analysis

 

Artist & Background:

  This beautiful painting was created during the middle-ages by an Italian painter and architect from Florence named, Giotto. It is part of a larger fresco in a church called the Scrovegni Chapel, which is located at Piazza Eremitani,8, 35121 Padova, Italy. During this time period drawing from real life was less favorable, which is why Giotto's work sticks out more, the techniques he used weren't as common he uses a naturalist view. He gained inspiration from another Italian architect named Arnolfo di Cambio. Another interesting bit about Giotto is how his art is three-dimensional, including how the people are depicted with a more reasonable attire, versus all the extravagant attire, or no attire at all. 


Influences:

  This work is a religious piece that is part of Giotto's life of Christ cycle. Perhaps what I love most about Giotto is how his art holds a humanism view. See Giotto wanted his art to be something people in his time could use to better understand God and the relationship he has with humans. If you take a moment and analysis how Jesus is laid not in a high and reverenced fashion, but lower to the ground than any other person in the work. This shows a sense of humility but it also shows a sense of weakness and helplessness that one would hope to never be in. In this way, it gives Jesus personality that isn't seen the same way in many other religious pieces. This resource talks about the use of naturalism, in how the two people helping to hold Jesus aren't adding much context to the image. Naturalism is an abnormal artistic choice that is normally not seen in other pieces of this time.


Observations:

  I love how the resource talks about "the figures are looking in". Notice how all the people, even the ones in the background are facing Jesus. This is so powerful and speaks to me deeply as I was raised very religious I can't help but think of the song "looking unto Jesus" which has a line that says "the author and the finisher of our faith". Emotionally it could connect to the viewer in how this is seen as one of Jesus's last times on Earth. He came and finished his work because he loved us. I appreciate how much pain we can see in Mary's face as she looks at her once baby boy, now turned savior who has given his whole being to a group of people who despised him. (Remember they killed Jesus (innocent) and let Barabus (guilty) go). There is so much emotion wrapped in this scene it brings me to tears. 

  Do you see the angels' faces? They look as if they are suffering with Jesus. And how they are placed could be representative of Heaven mourning for the loss of the Son. Additionally, I find it intellectually that there are 10 angels, the Bible talks about how Jesus could have called 10 thousand angels to deliver Him from the cross but He didn't. He believed He would resurrect and that His death was the will of His Father. This is so significant because it reflects a choice of love and compassion that overpowered His own desire for life. As I see Jesus lying there, part of me wishes He did call the angels. 

  As for artistic presentation, I like how Giotto uses more tones of color to create dimension instead of using more linework. It is also nice that he uses a nice foreground, midground, and background. He does this by not only having people (foreground) The rock (midground, and the angels (background), but he takes it a set further and fades the ranges which give them more of the appearance of popping out at the viewer. Also, I would like to note how the people themselves are used to draw the eye across the painting. For me, this is an important aspect of art that I use to decide whether or not I would hang a piece in my home. To me, art is supposed to not only reach the viewer emotionally, but I highly value good composition. In simple words, I would love to have The Lamentation in my home.

Best, Ava


Comments

  1. This is a very interesting piece. Like you mentioned, the sheer emotion portrayed is very touching. It is a very sad moment, but I think the ten angels overhead seem to remind us that God is always present. Perhaps the angels served to lessen the sadness a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Ava, I thought this piece you chose was incredibly beautiful and eye-catching. Even though this piece conveys a sad occasion with Jesus, I think it was executed quite well. Giotto is able to incorporate realistic, humanist aspects and reveal raw, true emotions to his audience. I think your observations are wonderful and I can tell this is a piece that you were captivated by.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pan!c - The Art of Looking Okay: Art Analysis

First blog assignment

Judith, Her Maidservant, and Holofernes - Baroque Art Analysis